For years, Maine’s established legal cannabis market has been providing recreational and medical plant wellness products to residents throughout the state. Having implemented structured regulations and guidelines, The Pine Tree State offers numerous resources and information that encourages consumers to stay educated, safe, and aware.
At Gram’s Five & Dime, we’re committed to bringing natural wellness solutions to consumers and patients from all walks of life. We understand that choosing amongst all the available cannabis product options can be daunting, let alone the list of regulations and guidelines framed by the state.
But, not to worry – we’re here to help!
Knowing The Basics: Is Weed Legal in Maine?
In 1999, the use of medical marijuana was legalized in the state of Maine for specific illnesses and health conditions. This medical program later expanded in 2009, decriminalizing the possession of up to 2.5 ounces of cannabis per person.
It wasn’t until 2016 that the recreational use of marijuana was legalized for adults over the age of 21. This established the recreational use, retail purchases, and taxation of all cannabis products for Maine residents.
Cannabis Law in Maine: What To Know
Since then, guidelines that have been devised by the state have influenced Maine’s legal cannabis market we know today. Check out these fundamental regulations for cannabis consumption in Maine:
Adults 21 and up can purchase and possess both medical and/or recreational cannabis.
- A valid government-issued ID or a medical marijuana card issued by the state of Maine must be presented in order to make any cannabis purchases.
Adults may have up to 2.5 ounces of cannabis flower or product at one time (with no more than 5 grams of cannabis concentrate).
- Adults in the state of Maine can also grow up to six flowering cannabis plants in their residences. All cannabis consumption must be done in a private residence or on private property.
Medical and recreational cannabis may not be sold in the same facility.
- However, there are many different recreational or medical dispensaries available within the state.
All cannabis packaging and labeling must be transparent and informative.
- You can count on the best cannabis in Maine to provide you with the necessary details on the packaging or label to help you further understand the product you’ve just purchased.
According to Maine law, details stated on the product’s label must include:
- Cultivation license number
- Health & safety warnings
- The cannabis batch number
- Net weight of the product
- Major cannabinoids & potencies (THC, CBD, CBN, etc.)
- Information on the chemicals or solvents used in extraction (if any)
- Amount of the cannabis concentrate per serving and package (if applicable)
- Nutritional facts for edibles (if applicable)
- Expiration date
These foundational laws reflect the legalization of cannabis in the state of Maine, promoting consumer awareness and safety for recreational and medical consumers alike.
Maine’s Best: Gram’s Five & Dime Medical Cannabis Co.
Our Maine-grown cannabis company provides a wide array of cannabis flower and products in a warm and friendly dispensary setting. We aim to be a trusted neighbor for the central Maine and Sebasticook Valley cannabis communities.
At Gram’s, you can count on us for consumer safety and awareness while serving out some of the best cannabis in Maine!
Be sure to check out our dispensary menu for all of our weekly deals! Learn more on the latest about cannabis in Maine from our Blog page!
*Always be sure to consult a physician before making any changes to your health or fitness regimen.